If you are planning a long walk or cycle, it’s always good to be prepared and take along some snacks. These nut bars contain loads of tasty ingredients that will keep you going for hours. They can be a little crumbly so might be better in a bag than in your cycling jersey pockets! This recipe was adapted from ‘Nut butter energy bars’ in Waitrose Magazine.
250g rolled jumbo oats
40g desiccated coconut
40g pumpkin seeds
40g flaked almonds
150g pitted dates
50g soft prunes
85g clear honey
100g cashew butter
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1. Firstly line a 20cm x 20cm (or similar) cake tin with parchment paper and get your oven set to 160°C.
2. Mix the oats, coconut, seeds and almonds together and then spread them out on a large baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes, giving them a shake half way through.
3. Blitz the prunes and dates into a smooth paste using a blender then put in a saucepan along with the honey, cashew butter, coconut oil, cinnamon, 3tbsp water and a pinch of salt.
4. Warm over a medium heat whilst stirring until mixed together.
5. Turn the heat off and add the toasted mixture, continuing to stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
6. Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth down.
7. Chill in the fridge until firm, then divide into 24 bars.